Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
how old do you really have to be?
mamaleek76 posted:
have a question that i have asked at least to 5 different doctors, a couple have been ob-gyn and the others family doctors. I had a hysterectomy a partial one which i found out at least a year later at the age of 32. about three years ago i started feeling a little strange having night sweats and mood swings. about a year ago i started having hot flashes and still have them, and now i don't want to be intimate with my husband and my body is going through some things that i am not understanding. My mother says it signs of early menopause is this true. please help?

Anon_6061 responded:
Studies show that a partial hysterectomy can result in ovarian failure. One study showed this to be the case in 39% of their study participants who'd had a "simple" hysterectomy. You can find a number of studies by doing a web search for "pubmed hysterectomy ovarian failure."

You said "my body is going through some things that i am not understanding" - What are these other symptoms you're having?

Did your doctors say you can't be going through perimenopause or menopause because you're too young? If so, maybe you can show them the studies. Did any of them do blood work or offer an Rx for some type of estrogen to relieve symptoms?

Anon_2912 responded:
Well I just got told I this week I am going through menopause. I am 42..

Althought strange this is the first time I have not had a period. Last one was Aug 17 (last month) I do get night sweats, but I had those for over 10yrs...

I do only have 1 ovary. My gyno did a FSH test and it came back 58.1 so she says I am now going through menopause. My mom was 52 & all my other older sister are in the 50's when they went through it.

I guess I should be happy, I can't complain about the no cycles monthly...

mamaleek76 replied to Anon_6061's response:
sorry about that the things that my body are going through is night sweats, sore nipples and sometimes my legs go numb and i get moody over the littlest things. Some of the doctors say I can't be going through it because I am to young, and the others say that it is just mind thing that I am trying to hurry up the process so to speak. That isn't true, i just know my body for the most part and can tell when things are off a little. I even have moments when i lose my balance due to my ear hurting. And no they haven't tried to give me any Rx for any of it. thank you for responding back to me.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website