Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Is it menopause?
forgetful88 posted:
I am a 42yr old & a little confused, but accept it....

Okay. I had lab work done last week for TSH, FSH, & vit D. I have only 1 ovary (other removed due to complex cycst). I have tested positive for High Risk HPV six months ago & had my second pap done (don't know resutls yet). When I went in for my pap the gyno told me that I am NOW going through menopause. My FSH level was 58.1 . My last cycle was Aug 17, 2012, still waiting on it to make an appearance.

Now my TSH is being supressed due to graves/hyper 20yrs ago. I know my TSH level was below .01, which is fine because I no longer have symptoms.

So what does it mean if my FSH is that high?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear forgetful88
It does sound like you are PERImenopausal; not fully menopausal (premenopausally, the FSH is below 20-25). To say someone is fully menopausal, you need to be a year without a period. So you could get a period next month; skip one, get two in the next month, etc; very unpredictable, alas. The pap smear results are most likely not related to anything to do with ovarian function.
Good luck, hope all gets resolved for you well.
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website