Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
16 Day Period So Far!
violetcreams posted:
I am 52 and a half and have had irregular cycles for just over two years.
20-44 days between periods with duration of 4 to 16 days of bleeding.
short bleed- short wait
long bleed- long wait.

This month I am still bleeding but very lightly on day 16. I know that I was advised here that this is normal in peri, and that i could ask for progesterone to regulate the cycles especially the prolonged bleeding. I was wondering if any natural remedies would have the same affect as I don't really want to go down the hormonal route if I can avoid it.

Finally is there any risk of endometrial cancer being as I do bleed for long periods when my cycle is delayed?- or is this just a very unlikely possibility as I have no risk factors such as obesity or diabetes.

I just want to deal with this naturally, but get just a bit freaked out mentally on day 16 of my period after a forty day wait that used to be like clockwork! Is it likely that I may bleed for another week then maybe skip a period altogether, and how many days is it normal to bleed in this peri time- is mine within normal expected parameters?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Violetcreams,
Yes, the wonders of perimenopause. As long as you have ruled out abnormalities in the lining of the uterus at this time, and you are maintaining your hematocrit (blood count-ie, not losing too much blood) then you do not have to do anything-but this type of bleeding pattern can be quite annoying. There is no non hormonal remedy that will regulate this bleeding (that I know of)-but you certainly could used micronized natural progesterone (Prometrium)-talk with your health care provider. In general, one option is to use Prometrium, 200mg a day for 12 days (to try to simulate the luteal phase of a normal menstrual cycle) to try to regulate things. And this will not prolong the menopausal process; it will just help to regulate your bleeding. Without significant risk factors, as you mentioned, it would be unlikely for you to develop hyperplasia in this time frame.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

violetcreams replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you so much for your very kind reply which is appreciated so much.

violetcreams replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Dear Mary Jane

I just wanted to thank you for your wonderful reassurance and help with regard to my questions. I have now gone 6 months with no bleeding so the end is in sight!

Thank you
Violetcreams

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to violetcreams's response:
Dear Violetcreams,
Thanks so much for your followup; I'm delighted you're doing well-
Mary Jane

choclategirl replied to violetcreams's response:
I also have had irregular periods and now the heavy long periods...I could have written the same thing here as you. I worry about the bleeding.. as long as I know it can't last forever I can handle it. I tried the estrogen/progesterone thing and had a bad reaction so that is not something I want to try again. I hope like you I am finished with this soon!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to choclategirl's response:
Dear Choclategirl,
Unfortunately, some women do not do well with progestins; however, some women can tolerate one type of progestin and not do well with another. Often times the bleeding associated with perimenopause will respond to progestin therapy. I hope for your sake the bleeding stops soon; however, do be in touch with your health care provider, because there are other options that can be tried if the heavy bleeding persists. For women who cannot tolerate any type of hormonal therapy, and persist with very heavy bleeding, an ablation of the lining of the uterus is something that could be considered.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website