Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and Menopause
MikiDee posted:
I will be 46 in a couple of months, and have been in menopause since I was 34. In the last three months, I've noticed the symptoms have intensified, and some new ones have made an appearance. What concerns me, however, is whether my Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome will play a part in how things will go for me in this new stage of menopause. Because my skin is so thin, I bruise very easily, and have nosebleeds with little to no provocation. If there's anyone out there who is menopausal and also has EDS, can you let me know if I have anything to watch out for regarding EDS? Thanks in advance...

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear MikiDee,
You didn't mention the Ehlers-Danlos syndrome in the last post; however, I don't know of any special menopausal concerns in menopause. Menopause itself is not classically associated with any particular bleeding syndromes; skin does tend to get dryer, so use plenty of moisturizers; but no particular bleeding issues-but I'll do some research and let you know if I find anything,
Mary Jane

MikiDee replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you so much for your reply. I do have nosebleeds on a fairly regular basis, but this is just another fun side effect of this incurable condition. I bruise very easily, and the dislocations are oh, so memorable...Since I've lived with EDS all my life so far, I made the assumption menopause would bring on new developments and/or enhancements. I hadn't considered using moisturizers, so I will definitely start that. Thanks again!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful