Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and Menopause
MikiDee posted:
I will be 46 in a couple of months, and have been in menopause since I was 34. In the last three months, I've noticed the symptoms have intensified, and some new ones have made an appearance. What concerns me, however, is whether my Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome will play a part in how things will go for me in this new stage of menopause. Because my skin is so thin, I bruise very easily, and have nosebleeds with little to no provocation. If there's anyone out there who is menopausal and also has EDS, can you let me know if I have anything to watch out for regarding EDS? Thanks in advance...

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear MikiDee,
You didn't mention the Ehlers-Danlos syndrome in the last post; however, I don't know of any special menopausal concerns in menopause. Menopause itself is not classically associated with any particular bleeding syndromes; skin does tend to get dryer, so use plenty of moisturizers; but no particular bleeding issues-but I'll do some research and let you know if I find anything,
Mary Jane

MikiDee replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you so much for your reply. I do have nosebleeds on a fairly regular basis, but this is just another fun side effect of this incurable condition. I bruise very easily, and the dislocations are oh, so memorable...Since I've lived with EDS all my life so far, I made the assumption menopause would bring on new developments and/or enhancements. I hadn't considered using moisturizers, so I will definitely start that. Thanks again!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Red Clover Blossoms
I have done research and have been using red clover blossom 2x daily(750 mg from most vitamin places). I no longer get get hot flashes. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website