Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
premenupause?
An_248044 posted:
I'm 46 and my periods have been four to five days. All of a sudden I have a period then by the following week it is like I am trying to have another but its spotting, dark and has an odor. Not sure what to make of it. Also I have never had cramps and my right side bothers me. Should I be concerned and find a ob/gyn?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_248044,
In general, menopause is not associated with pain. The frequency of the periods certainly may well be related to perimenopause, But given the symptoms, I would ask your health care provider to investigate these symptoms.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

dw02012 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Well, I had another period guess this was the real thing, once I had the pain again then I started to have a med/heavy bright red period. The pain went away but it was another week of having a period. Not sure if I will have another we will see.Also the odor went away also. I went to the doctor and text were done but it doesn't show that my hormones are out of whack. Doctor informed me to sit in a baking soda water to help with the ph. I also need to find a all natural lubricant without para-bans or additives, silicon free as well . I am very allergic to these. Do you have any suggestions on a brand I can buy? Can straight vitamin E help internal as well as external? I forgot to ask my doctor. Brain fog : )

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to dw02012's response:
Dear dw02012,
I'd check with the companies that make these products to find out exactly what they contain (I'm not sure of the exact contents.) I'd contact the makers of Replens and repHresh to see exactly what they contain (good for the pH and moisture)-so see what they have (going to the website is the start.) Another new product that is out there is HyaloGyn-they too have a website, and I'd contact the company to see exactly what they contain.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website