Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Menopause Question
medfan123 posted:
I am 52 and had my last period on August 11th. It is now Sept. 26th,so I havent had my period this month at all! No spotting or anything.
Could I be entering menopause?? Is there a blood test that can tell me if I have started menopause?? Is this an issue I should talk to my doctor about?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear medfan123,
It is likely that you are heading into the perimenopausal time frame; you are exactly the average age to be doing so. You can do a blood test, which might or might not help-I would not recommend that you do it, because it is costly and really won't give you much helpful information. I would be prepared to have a period at any point, and as long as you are feeling well (not suffering from bad hot flashes or sleeplessness) I wouldn't do too much intervention right now. Do all the good things: eat properly, exercise well, make sure you are taking in calcium in food form or supplements regularly, get in some vitamin D-and have fun!
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website