Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Hair loss and Menopause
Anon_18674 posted:
I went through menopause four years ago. I noticed the hair on my legs thinning and now it is completely gone. The same thing is beginning to happen with the underarm hair and the hair on my forearms is getting very thin also. I associated this with menopause because of when it began to happen. I have done some reading on this hair loss and some of what I read stated this could be a cause for concern. I am new to my area and still trying to get established with a doctor. I really wan't concerned about it until I started reading about it...that'll teach me. Anyway, has anyone else experienced hair loss on legs and underarms after menopause? Thank you.

Anon_6061 responded:
This seems to be fairly common (and a plus) based on conversations I've had with other women. I'm in surgical menopause and on HRT so I can't really compare myself to women in natural meno. My leg and underarm hair definitely grows slower but I have more hair on my arms. I've lost a lot of scalp hair (it's now very thin) and I got some gray overnight. I also lost most of my pubic hair and it grayed quickly. Imagine the horror watching myself age overnight!

Anon_18674 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Thank you for your response. It makes me feel better to have a place to discuss things that go on during menopause. I went through it naturally at a fairly young age so my friends have not yet had any experience and therefore I am not able to talk with them about it.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Anon_18674,
Hair loss with menopause is fairly common, and not harmful. However, one other hormonal problem also presents commonly with hair loss, and that's thyroid dysfunction. So I usually will check a set of thyroid functions on my patients with significant hair loss.-it's an easy blood test to do, and also easy to fix.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Chey170 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you Dr. Minkin for your response. I am hypothyroid and have been for the past 22 years. I have my TSH levels checked every 6 months. In the past 22 years, with the dose of Synthroid I am on, my levels have remained the same, within normal limits. I only noticed the hair on my legs gradually disappearing since menopause 4 years ago, which now is completely gone. More recently the hair under arms decreasing. As long as I know this is normal with menopause, believe me, I don't mind not having to shave anymore. Thank you again for your response.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Red Clover Blossoms
I have done research and have been using red clover blossom 2x daily(750 mg from most vitamin places). I no longer get get hot flashes. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website