Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
menopause
An_248150 posted:
Dr. ,
I am 58 yrs old and went through menopause in my early 40's. I've had no complications. I took prempro for many years then my insurance quit paying on it so started taking activella about a year ago. I have yearly check ups and my test came back normal back in June. My goodness, I started a period yesterday!! I am in shock. Is this normal? I wondered if it might be the change in HRT but it's been a year. My Dr. is out of town and frankly, I'm a little worried. It's not been a full blown period as of yet but I've had to wear protection. (ha ha, had to go to the store to get some!)
Thanks

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_248150,
Sorry I've been away from the site for a bit:actually was down at the menopause meetings to make sure I stay current!
Anyhow, the bleeding certainly could be related to a change in the hormone therapy. That being said, you do want to check in with your health care provider; many would just want to double check that all is well in the lining of the uterus. So bottom line: not to worry, but do check in with your health care provider,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website