Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
How do I know if I'm nearing menopause? I have ovaries, but no cervix/uterus
carib posted:
I read alot about peri-menopause and menopause. I had my cervix and uterus removed almost 20 years ago. I still have my ovaries. How in the world will I know if I'm in or beginning menopause? Its my understand bloodwork can look different daily depending if your hormone level is higher or lower at any given point. I don't have any menopause symptoms. I'm just wondering what if anything I should be looking for since I've never found anything to read about my situation. Thanks!

carib responded:
I forgot to mention that I am 51 years old.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Carib,
Good question. A blood test certainly will give you a ball park figure; and as long as you are feeling well, that's great. What we encourage all menopausal women to do is really what we encourage all of our patients to do: eat right, exercise regularly, make sure you are getting some calcium in your diet, or do some supplemental, if needed, get some vitamin D (like 1000 units a day)-and as long as you're feeling well, not to be concerned if you're menopausal or not. But an FSH and estradiol will certainly give you a ball park estimate of how close you are.
Stay well,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful