Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
How do I know if I'm nearing menopause? I have ovaries, but no cervix/uterus
carib posted:
I read alot about peri-menopause and menopause. I had my cervix and uterus removed almost 20 years ago. I still have my ovaries. How in the world will I know if I'm in or beginning menopause? Its my understand bloodwork can look different daily depending if your hormone level is higher or lower at any given point. I don't have any menopause symptoms. I'm just wondering what if anything I should be looking for since I've never found anything to read about my situation. Thanks!

carib responded:
I forgot to mention that I am 51 years old.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Carib,
Good question. A blood test certainly will give you a ball park figure; and as long as you are feeling well, that's great. What we encourage all menopausal women to do is really what we encourage all of our patients to do: eat right, exercise regularly, make sure you are getting some calcium in your diet, or do some supplemental, if needed, get some vitamin D (like 1000 units a day)-and as long as you're feeling well, not to be concerned if you're menopausal or not. But an FSH and estradiol will certainly give you a ball park estimate of how close you are.
Stay well,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website