Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Worried in AZ
AzN8v posted:
Hi, I'm 53 yrs old and haven't had a period since 2009. In 2009, I experienced bleeding after my husband & had sex and that's the only I would bleed vaginally. I finally went to see my Gyn and he told me that I had a fibroid that was coming out from my cervix and that's probably what caused bleeding after sex. He removed two small fibroids (pinky tip sized) at my visit without anesthesia (after I signed a release). To say the least, that hurt very much but the bleeding stopped completely, even after sex. Last week, I experience tenderness in my breasts (like when I was menstrual), had bloating and mild cramping. That started on a Monday and by Friday, I noticed some spotting and I've had that spotting now for 4 days now. I've not been feeling well due to a virus I caught so when I mentioned this to the provider who saw in E.R., they advised that I make an appointment with my Gyn doc as soon as possible since I had gone soo long without a bleed and started spotting. To say the least, this scared me because she also said that it's a symptom of cervical cancer. I've made my appointment but it's not for two weeks, do I need to make it sooner or find a GYN who could see me sooner? BTW, my late father died from stomach cancer.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear AzN8v,
Sorry I wasn't here to answer last week. The evaluation of postmenopausal bleeding really is not an emergency, (unless you are truly hemorrhaging); so please don't worry about the two week delay. Is it possible that your bleeding episode this past week was related to spontaneous ovarian activity? Certainly could have been (given your bloating and breast discomfort) But seeing your gyn, to check on your cervix and lining of the uterus are the right things to do. So not to worry, and it sounds like you've done exactly the right things. Hope all goes well,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website