Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Coping
An_248244 posted:
It seems every little thing that comes along, makes me cry, at work,at home, with family, it doesn't matter. The worse part is I can't stop it once it starts. I had a hysterectomy ( still have my ovaries) about 18 almost 19 years ago and now I am experiencing the symptoms of menopause. This past summer the symptoms have intensified, I have been having hot flashes, that will start the first part of the year and last 3 months, then I'm done until the next year ( done this for 2 years) this year it was March to May, and started again in late August, early September; but they are not extreme, just occasional.

Last week was the worst, and into the first part of this week, but these last two days have been fairly decent.

Any ideas let me know,

Sincerely falling apart, sometimes

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_248244,
It certainly sounds like you are at least peri, if not fully menopausal. It is hard to assess the effects of hormones on mood; these changes could be independent of your hormone levels. One thing you could certainly try to to use some transdermal estrogen replacement; the risk is truly minimal, and you could see if it has any effects on the mood. If it does, you may want to continue with the therapy, after discussing it with your health care provider. If it makes no difference, then you'd probably want to talk with your primary care provider, to suggest some talk therapy, or medication, to help out the mood changes. Some women do well with both hormones and antidepressant medications.
Of course, certain interventions are always helpful: a good diet, lots of exercise-all can be helpful,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website