Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Menopause
Wilma posted:
I went into early menopause after the birth of my 2nd child at 32. I had the most wicked symptoms for a few years, it was like a champagne cork popped on the top of my head... I would be absolutely soaked from the tip of my head to almost my waist. Felt like I was sticking my head in a broiling oven and I "always" felt like I was in a sauna... It was a nightmare... After a few years it stopped and I was fine until this spring when at the age of 48 it started again though THANKFULLY much much milder. Just heat to my face. Lately though that heat is more frequent and goes all the way from the top of my head to my waist and I am left with a film of sweat on the back of my neck and on my back, yuck... So 17 years after it started it's gross, again... Any tips besides hormone therapy???

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Wilma,
I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions from folks in the community. As far as over the counter remedies, my patients seem to have reasonable success with black cohosh (such as Remifemin) and soy type foods, and soy products (like Icool) Of course, the usual advice about layered dressing, and keeping the house cool at night will help. And trying to stay fit with an excellent exercise regime does tend to help.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website