Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Menopause mania
An_248257 posted:
I went into early menopause after the birth of my 2nd child at 32. I had the most wicked symptoms for a few years, it was like a champagne cork popped on the top of my head... I would be absolutely soaked from the tip of my head to almost my waist. Felt like I was sticking my head in a broiling oven and I "always" felt like I was in a sauna... It was a nightmare... After a few years it stopped and I was fine until this spring when at the age of 48 it started again though THANKFULLY much much milder. Just heat to my face. Lately though that heat is more frequent and goes all the way from the top of my head to my waist and I am left with a film of sweat on the back of my neck and on my back, yuck... So 17 years after it started it's gross, again... Any tips besides hormone therapy???

An_248316 responded:
I'm curious why not hormone therapy? I went through menopause at 37. My doctor strongly suggested I stay on the pill to keep my bones strong and prevent cervical cancer. I am 41 now and continue to get night sweats and hot flashes, but they are less during the 3 weeks I am taking the pill.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to An_248316's response:
Dear An_248316,
A couple of thoughts. If you are fully menopausal, you could switch over to continuous hormone therapy (birth control pills are actually stronger than hormone therapy, and as long as there is no chance of pregnancy, you could do HT)-and you could take it continuously, not skipping a week. However, you certainly could take your birth control pills continuously, not skipping a week, and you might feel better.
I do agree with your doctor; you do want to be on some type of hormone therapy at your young age-be it birth control pills or hormone therapy.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Skroack responded:
There are other options you can try first if you would like to avoid hormones. If you are interested in learning more you can contact me and I can discuss this further with you. If you happen to live in an area with an ayurvedic practitioner who you could talk with about this I highly recomend this.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website