Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Wringing wet several times a night!
bsuthn36229 posted:
I sweat at night...sometimes 2-3 times a night. I am so wet that I have to change my clothes and should change the sheets, but Im so tired I just move to the other side of the bed. I have gone w/o pjs but the sweat just beads up on my body and Im still wringing wet. Looks like I just stepped out of the shower. I tried black cohosh...no luck. I was on HRT for 5 yrs from 2000 to 2005. Im a diabetic, dont drink caffiene, spicy food or alcohol. Any suggestions?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear bsuthn36229,
Good questions. I trust you're keeping the room cool, as cool as you can. Is your blood sugar under good control? Are you overweight? If so, weight loss will usually help hot flashes; good control of blood sugar will help, too. Have you tried cooling bed products? (Like the chillow, or other iced pillows?)
As far as medications; if you don't want to go back on hormonal therapy, SSRi or SNRI antidepressants can be helpful, as can neurontin (gabapentin); one strange thought. Do you take any medications for high blood pressure? If you do, you could see if you could alter your regime to include some clonidine or some beta blockers-some of those can be helpful for hot flash therapy.
So there are some options; do investigate them with your care provider.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website