Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Bleeding after 20 years of menopause
An_248332 posted:
Dear Mary Jane,

My mother is 62, and she stopped bleeding 20 years ago, but suddenly she is seeing blood these days. Her friends suggested her to get a check up and also warned her of possible Uterus Cancer, is that a possibility?

Worried daughter

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_248332,
You are a lovely worried daughter, to be caring about your mom-that's excellent. Yes, you do want her to go see her health care provider, and she should have an ultrasound or a sampling of the lining of her uterus (so called endometrial biopsy)-to make sure that nothing is out of sorts in the lining of her uterus. She could have uterine cancer, but there are many other possibilities: polyps or hyperplasia (overgrowth of the lining, but not cancer) are certainly way up on the list. But she does need to see someone, and I know you'll take good care of her. The good news about uterine cancer is that it makes its presence known very early: by bleeding, so we usually diagnose it very early, and cure folks.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website