Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Breakthrough Bleeding
hilarysbecker posted:
I have not had my period since April 2012. All the bloodwork I had done says that I am definately in menapause. My estrogen levels were zero. I started on the Combi Patch 1 month ago. The hot flashes have almost gone away which I appreciate however, on thursday of this week I started bleeding and now it seems to be a full blown period. Is this normal and how long is this going to last.

lolanap responded:
From what I read and have experienced so far it sounds like this is normal. My last period was July 2012 and I had hot flashes in August and September and now they have subsided. Yesterday I got what I thought was the beginning of a period but it lasted just a few hours and now is gone.

I am finding that I am experiencing alot of symptoms that I never had before, I guess every woman is different. From the various forums I have been on there are many woman that don't have periods for years and then have one for no reason.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear hilarysbecker and lolanap,
You both are doing very normal uterine and ovarian activities. Until you go a full year without a period, all bets are off as far as having another period. Now of course, using what we call continuous combined hormone therapy (daily estrogen and daily progestin) one can get a sort of breakthrough bleed; from what you are describing it sounds like regular ovarian activity. Alas, the period also resets the clock-so you have to start counting a full year from now, as far as saying you are fully menopausal.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website