Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Menopause
Dawn621 posted:
Hello
Ok so i go to the doc tell him i have not had my Period in 3 mo no I am not prego, so they did a blood test I got the call 3 days latter to tell me I am in Menopause and most likely will not have another period... How can this be I am only 39 years old and didn't go threw what my friends say they are going threw, Here is what i need to know I started spotting just once a day nothing big but it happens is it normal for this to happen???

Dawn621 responded:
Also is it true your sex drive die's and you go dry??

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Dawn621,
Sorry I think someone gave you some incorrect information. The only thing a blood test can tell someone who has gone for three months without a period is that she is headed towards menopause; you need to go for a full year without a period to tell someone she is fully menopausal. Indeed, about 1% of women are menopausal by age 40; not common, but not unheard of. My major question for you is have you been planning to get pregnant? If you are planning it, I would encourage you to see a reproductive gynecological endocrinologist as soon as possible, to see if they can help you get pregnant. If you are not planning to conceive, you might want to consider a low dose birth control pill; it will give you good estrogen, and also keep you from getting pregnant if you weren't planning on doing so. As far as the libido issue, replacing the estrogen could do it for you; however, if replacing the estrogen doesn't do it, you could consider the addition of some testosterone therapy. Do visit the website of the North American Menopause Society, menopause.org, and go to the section on sex drive and testosterone; there is some very helpful information there. Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website