Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
menopause with history of blood clots
kpoulson posted:
I am 53 and haven't had a period in over 3 yrs. I have had 2 blood clots and my dr will not prescribe hormones. I have absolutely NO libdo left and both my husband and I are frustrated. Tried lubricants but does nothing for the desire end. Can I take anything to help?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear kpoulson,
Are the lubricants working for you (are you feeling moist enough?)-if not, you certainly could use vaginal estrogens; there is not a contraindication to vaginal estrogens. As far as systemic estrogens, that is more controversial. Some menopause docs will allow their patients to use testosterone in that situation. (as I have recommended to others, the North American menopause Society's website, menopause.org, has some good patient information on testosterone and libido). Other non prescription remedies you might want to look into would be Zestra, and Hot Plants for Her.
Don't give up.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Darkened Skin above my lip
What can I do about dark skin above my upper lip. I have gone through menopause already. I have tried skin bleach to no avail. What do I ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website