Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
BioIdentical progesterone and Estroven
kgbee6 posted:
Hi, I too am wondering about adding Estroven to my supplements. I am currently on Bioidentical Progesterone Cream, but I still have frequent hot flashes and trouble sleeping . I am so tired of all of it. I take MANY herb and vitamin supplements, I try and steer clear of parabens. I eat healthy. I drink lots of green tea. Is it ok to add the Estroven to try and fight the hot flashes? Thank you for any input from the doctor or community is much appreciated.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear kgbee6,
Estroven is fine; it is a combination of soy isoflavones and black cohosh, both of which can have efficacy against hot flashes. Of all supplements, those are probably the most effective therapies for hot flashes. If you are looking to bioidentical products, you'll do better with a product such as Prometrium; the topical progesterone creams can have very variable effectiveness. Prometrium is bioidentical micronized progesterone, but is quite well regulated. Your gynecologist can give you some guidance along those lines.
Hope you feel better soon,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website