Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
no period in 4 years
An_248446 posted:
So I have had no period in four years. My dr put me on natural hormones the end of July. Unfortunately, I started a light period last Thursday. No flowing, just there. I ve had the very tender breasts since the Saturday before and water retention. Have gained a couple pounds. Could this be the hormones he gave me that triggered something? I have all the symptoms of the good old period back in the day. I assumed after a couple years, your ovaries dried up. Is this true or what's the deal with a period now?

Anon_6061 responded:
Based on the breast tenderness and bloating, it sounds like the HRT triggered the bleeding. The ovaries don't "dry up" after menopause. They continue to produce hormones into a woman's 80's. However, they change in appearance. They become wrinkled looking because after menopause, it's the inner part of the ovary that does the work versus the outer part. So just like our skin, the ovaries look old and wrinkled on the outside but that doesn't mean they're dead LOL!!

As far as post-menopausal bleeding, there have been a number of women who've posted here with similar experiences, some on HRT, some not. However, certain foods and drinks have estrogenic effects so even diet can affect our hormone levels and the possibility of postmenopausal bleeding. It's generally recommended though that any post-meno bleeding be investigated to make sure there's nothing abnormal going on. A transvaginal ultrasound could be done to check the thickness of the uterine lining. Also, I assume you're taking combined HRT (progesterone or a progestin along with the estrogen) to protect your uterine lining.

megman12 replied to Anon_6061's response:
no he just gave me the two I listed and was only taking 1/2 of each every day. I stopped them completely. Cannot stand the sore breasts and after I started the light period I thought forget it. I did stop the bleeding.

Anon_6061 replied to megman12's response:
Combined HRT can take different forms - they can come together (as one pill or a patch such as the Combipatch) or they can be separate such as two pills (one estrogen, the other progesterone or a progestin). Glad to hear the bleeding stopped.

megman12 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Me too! Just hope it doesn't start again. Don't know whether to do the teenage count or not. Breasts are still very sore. Good thing I'm not big busted. I think I've gained 5 lbs. there. Thats why it leads me to believe its the hormones. But like I said, I did stop them. I can deal with the hot flashes which I haven't had since I stopped them either. Thanks for your input.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website