Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Is it menopause?
Binchen98 posted:
I'm almost 46. For the last six months I've had a period about every 18- 20 days, very heavy with large blood clots, lasting about 8 days each. I'm also cramping, very painful, like never before. Could it be menopause?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Binchen98,
Well, we can certainly say it isn't menopause; the question is, is it perimenopause-the approach time to the end of periods. Very difficult to say; usually cramping is not associated with perimenopause. I'd explore the possibility of causes like fibroids or endometriosis. One thing you could consider with your health care provider would be a trial of low dose birth control pills, to help control the bleeding. Another option would be the insertion of a progestin coated IUD called the Mirena; it could help control the bleeding and cramping, too.
So don't hesitate to check in with your health care provider for some investigation and help to get these periods under control.
good luck,
Mary Jane

Binchen98 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thanks for the info, I made an appointment with my gynecologist.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website