Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
pregnant or menopause?
boo2071 posted:
I need some advice, I am worried that I might possibly be pregnant. Although it is possible, I feel that it is improbable. I am 41 years old. I just had my second child December 2012. My husband and I had sex on Oct. 7th, my period was due to start on Oct. 11th. No period came this month. While I have taken 4 EPT, all have come up negative. But Im thinking it might have been too early to test. However, I am also wondering if I missed my period due to pre menopause. Im so confused, and worried. I should not have been ovulating at the time we had sex. My periods have been regular for the past nine months since we had our son. Any ideas, help, or support?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear boo2071,
If you had sex on October 7, you should have a positive pregnancy test by now-it's two weeks since you would have conceived; your health care provider can order a very sensitive blood test for you to check. However, the question I will pose to you is do you want to be pregnant or not? if you don't want to be pregnant, I wouldn't have unprotected sex-like relying on the rhythm method, because at age 41, you can start ovulating weirdly, not on a regular rhythm. If you don't want to conceive, something like an IUD might be an excellent method for you-you don't have to think about it, and as a new mom, the less you need to worry about the better.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website