Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Sore Nipples
An_248562 posted:
I am 61 and have been gone through menopause 10 to 11 years ago. (Although I know some of the symtoms never totally go away. I still sometimes have power surgees that leave me drenched). Just in the past severa; of days I have begun having extremely sore breasts and very tender nipples. Sometimes just bumping my breast with the side of my arm is almost unbearable. There is really nothing I can take since I am a bad candidate for HRT because my 61 year old sister ddied from breast cancer about four years ago. I have my annual mammograms, and despite the pain, I have examined my breast, but feel very little change. I will have to wait to go to my ARNP on Monday to get it checked out.

I've done a bit of research because I am a litle freaked out because of the rapid onset of the pain. I have checkef info on IBC and fibrocytic breasts, neither of which have the symptoms that I am having, with the exception of pain.

Has anyboby gone through anything like this?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_248562,
It would be unusual to get some spontaneous ovarian activity now, but not impossible. I think you are doing exactly the right thing is seeing your ARNP, who will examine you, and will probably do a mammogram and/or ultrasound, too.
As far as fibrocystic pain, I'm a great believer in keeping down caffeine, and trying a few vitamins: vitamin B6, 100-200 mg a day, vitamin E, 200-400 units a day, and evening primrose oil, 2 capsules (500 unit capsules) per day.Does seem to help many women.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

An_248938 responded:
evening primrose oil capsules work wonders for sore nipples
and the best of health to you!!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website