Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Anxious Heart Pounding At Night
JanLynn posted:
Hi, I'm not sure I'm totally into Menapause just yet, but I have this pounding in my heart for at least an hour before I get to sleep at night. It's worse when I lay down?? Does anyone have a symptom like this??? Thanks so much!!!!

Anon_6061 responded:
Heart palpitations seem to be a fairly common perimenopausal symptom. If you do a search for "palpitations" on this support group, you'll see a number of posts. Some women have found that taking a calcium/magnesium or magnesium only supplement before bed does the trick. Calcium citrate is the form you should use if you take it without food. Dr. Minkin has posted that a low dose of transdermal estrogen may be helpful. Of course, if you have your uterus, you have to be careful taking unopposed estrogen since it can proliferate the uterine lining.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to Anon_6061's response:
Dear Anon_6061,
Good point about the unopposed estrogen. I should clarify that in any situation that I recommend a trial of estrogen only, if you decide to remain on the estrogen, if you have a uterus, you then need to discuss with your health care provider how you will add the progesterone to protect the lining. In general, if we're not sure if estrogen will help or not for a symptom, I do usually recommend trying just estrogen alone, to see if the symptom improves on estrogen (with short term therapy, there is no increased risk of excessive growth of the lining of the uterus;) however, if you're going to stay on the estrogen we need to add a progestin in some form.
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website