Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Help!!!
maggie3110 posted:
I have had mild hot flashes for years but the past few weeks I have been having hot flashes and night sweats continuously. I am either sweating and burning up or freezing to death. I started taking the "Women's Ultra Mega Menopause" vitamin pack from GNC a week ago but it has not really helped. I took hormones a few years ago but it did terrible things to me and I am in high risk category to take them anyway. What else can I do to help with this. It is totally disrupting my life!
Thanks!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Maggie3110,
It's not clear from your question where you are in the menopausal transition; your symptoms are certainly suggestive of it. (believe it or not, other medical issues can lead to hot flashes, too). On the non medication front: a couple of suggestions. Get some extra soy in your diet; it might help. On the supplement front: the two best approaches are soy supplements (one that seems to help my patients a fair amount is "Icool"-seems to help) and black cohosh (like Remifemin)-you can get these at a regular supermarket or pharmacy. If those do not help, and you need medical interventions: if you cannot take hormonal therapy, the two best medical approaches would be SSRI or SNRI antidepressants or Gabapentin (neurontin)-all of these have some effects. However, do consider a low dose of hormonal therapy. You might react differently now than you did previously; and a low dose of transdermal (patch or gel) estrogen might work well for you. So don't give up-lots can be done,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

maggie3110 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I started taking the "Women's Ultra Mega Menopause" and after about two weeks all s/s disappeared!!!! They have worked great for me!!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website