Includes Expert Content
Help!!!
maggie3110 posted:
I have had mild hot flashes for years but the past few weeks I have been having hot flashes and night sweats continuously. I am either sweating and burning up or freezing to death. I started taking the "Women's Ultra Mega Menopause" vitamin pack from GNC a week ago but it has not really helped. I took hormones a few years ago but it did terrible things to me and I am in high risk category to take them anyway. What else can I do to help with this. It is totally disrupting my life!
Thanks!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Maggie3110,
It's not clear from your question where you are in the menopausal transition; your symptoms are certainly suggestive of it. (believe it or not, other medical issues can lead to hot flashes, too). On the non medication front: a couple of suggestions. Get some extra soy in your diet; it might help. On the supplement front: the two best approaches are soy supplements (one that seems to help my patients a fair amount is "Icool"-seems to help) and black cohosh (like Remifemin)-you can get these at a regular supermarket or pharmacy. If those do not help, and you need medical interventions: if you cannot take hormonal therapy, the two best medical approaches would be SSRI or SNRI antidepressants or Gabapentin (neurontin)-all of these have some effects. However, do consider a low dose of hormonal therapy. You might react differently now than you did previously; and a low dose of transdermal (patch or gel) estrogen might work well for you. So don't give up-lots can be done,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

maggie3110 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I started taking the "Women's Ultra Mega Menopause" and after about two weeks all s/s disappeared!!!! They have worked great for me!!