Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Partial Hysterectomy
ash072 posted:
I am 40 years ago and had a partial hysterectomy, took out uterus and cervix, left the ovaries, on October 17th and just started bleeding yesterday like a light period. I have pain through the abdomen and at the ovaries. The pain is comes and goes. I just want to know if the bleeding is normal or not.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Ash072,
When you take out the cervix, you put a lot of stitches at the top of the vagina, to sew it up. It is possible that you had a small collection of blood that accumulated at the top of the vagina, which is now coming out. I would let your gynecologist know; as long as the bleeding is light, and you don't have a fever, you probably won't need any significant interventions, but I would let the doc who did the surgery know about it.
Hope you get better soon,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website