Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Weight Gain in Pre- Menopause
pwtaa posted:
I am 44 years old and I am a Stage IV Hodgkin's Lymphoma Cancer Survivor. After the cancer went in remission I gained 100 lbs. 3 years ago I finally was able to get my thyroid back under control and through diet and exercise I lost 90 lbs. and maintained the weight for 2 years. In the past 10 months or so I have been dealing with pre-menopause symptoms irregular periods, hot flashes, anxiety, mood swings and WEIGHT GAIN especially around my belly.

I have worked so hard to get the weight off and keep it off and it's driving me crazy. I will lose 5 lbs and turn around and gain 6. I feel like I am on an endless roller coaster. I am strict on eating 4-6 small meals a day. I also work out at least 5 days a week and I am a very active person.

My doctor (OBGYN) says that this is normal and while I am considered slightly overweight I am not obese and it's just part of life and that my thyroid is still working.(This is not help to me) My nutritionist is trying to help w/ herbal supplements which is helping the hot flashes, mood swings and anxiety, but I have not seen any difference with weight issues. I change up my workout routine between aerobics, strength training and water aerobics.

As a side note because of the cancer I can't use HRT that's why we are trying Herbals.

If anyone has suggestions I would love to hear them I feel like I am doing the two step with my weight and I am beginning to hate my body again when I had just learned to love it.

Thanks for listening and I am open to any suggestions.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear pwtaa,
You might want to speak with a gynecologic oncologist in your area; because there really is no reason that you cannot use hormone therapy; Hodgkin's lymphoma is not a hormonally sensitive tumor, and indeed young women treated for various cancers often do go into menopause somewhat earlier. So I'd start by finding a gynecological oncologist nearby, who could speak with your medical oncologist who is following you, to get you the OK on using some hormonal therapy-and indeed, being on some hormonal therapy might help you to feel better.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Red Clover Blossoms
I have done research and have been using red clover blossom 2x daily(750 mg from most vitamin places). I no longer get get hot flashes. ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website