Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Menopause & blood glucose
kimsue222 posted:
I am somewhere between perimenopause & menopause. I recently had blood drawn so that I could get some life insurance. Yesterday I was told that I was denied for my life insurance because of the results of my blood test. I was shocked when I got the results:

Fasting blood glucose: 312
Hemoglobin A1C: 12.5
Fructosamine: 2.7
Alkaline PHOS: 128
GGGT/GGTP: 109

How can I find out if the decrease in estrogen is causing this or if I might have adult onset diabetes?

Anon_6061 responded:
Based on your labs, you're diabetic. An A1C of 6.5 or higher is classified as diabetes. Here's a link - http://diabetes.webmd.com/guide/glycated-hemoglobin-test-hba1c. Did you fast before the test? Also, according to this link, the A1C test can be yield abnormal results - "Patients with diseases affecting hemoglobin such as anemia may get abnormal results with this test. Other abnormalities that can affect the results of the hemoglobin A1c include supplements such as vitamins C and E and high cholesterol levels. Kidney disease and liver disease may also affect the result of the hemoglobin A1c test.

Had you no indication of being diabetic or pre-diabetic until now? Had you not had labs drawn in a long time? Hormones produced by the endocrine glands (ovaries included) are essential for normal metabolic functioning. But the hormonal changes during perimenopause and menopause don't, in and of themselves, cause diabetes. Of course, being overweight (don't know if you are or not) is a big factor in developing diabetes and many women complain of some weight gain in the peri-meno and menopause years.

I hope you plan to see your doctor to address this important health issue. Best of luck in improving your health!

kimsue222 replied to Anon_6061's response:
Yes, I did fast before the blood was drawn. Yes, I am overweight. I have had no indications and feel good 100% of the time. I don't take any supplements (C or E). My cholesterol results were 208.
I read that the hormone changes can affect the glucose and is sometimes, even often mistaken for diabetes.
I have a doctors appt scheduled, but it is 6 weeks out.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website