Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
hot moments
mel1965 posted:
I am 65 years old and started menopause when I was about 42. I had hot flashes for several years and was on hrt for about 10 years which solved the hot flash problem. Stopped taking them at my doctors recomendation after about 10 yrs. I still have "hot moments" but not the sweating and the severity is less is than during menopause. My problem or irritant. This time is that both my nipples itch constantly. They also invert when I wear a bra. I now only where camisoles. I mentioned it to my primary care dr. and she says not to worry about it. My mammograms have all been clear. Does anyone else experience this?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear mel1965,
Sorry I tried to post an answer a couple of times, and as you know the board was misbehaving. Let's try now: I suspect that the nipple soreness isn't directly related to menopause; most likely skin related as opposed to breast related. I'd suggest a couple of things to try: one is to try some topical cortisone cream to the nipples, to see if it helps. The other is some moisturizing lotion, to see if moisture helps. If things do not respond, I'd suggest a consult with a breast surgeon; not that you need surgery, but they'd be the folks to check in with for any further suggestions on breast evaluation.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website