Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Period After 2 Weeks
violetcreams posted:
I am almost 53 and having irregular periods. Some come after 46 days, some after only 20, some last for only 5 days and some in excess of 2 weeks. The latest in the saga is a period that started only 14 days after the previous one but it is very light -almost tarry and dark with minimal flow. Would this once again be lack of progesterone? I have all the other menopause symptoms going on- night sweats etc.

I am hoping to last without HRT so just wondering if anyone else has this pattern of bleeding and if the expert could advise.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Violetcreams,
We often talk about all the "joys of perimenopause"-and alas, this type of bleeding pattern is typical due to changes in ovulatory function, and decreased progesterone production by the ovary with ovulation. So I always suggest that you check in with your gynecologist, to rule out any abnormalities in the lining of the uterus; once that is ruled out, then you have the option of intervening or not; this type of bleeding pattern, as long as you are not losing excessive blood is annoying but not dangerous. If you do wish to intervene, progesterone therapy or birth control pills would be the likeliest remedy. If indeed you are having all the other symptoms, low dose birth control pills would be the easiest intervention.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

violetcreams replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you so much - I now have a copy of your excellent book on the perimenopause which has answered all my other questions. It is fantastic.
Sincere thanks
Sue

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to violetcreams's response:
Dear Sue,
Hope you stay well, and thanks for the kind words,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
19 of 30 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website