Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Night Sweats
Gram2one posted:
I have had hot flashes and night sweats for several years. I tried bioidentical hormones for several years, then went to several different over the counter menopause treatments. So far, nothing has worked to eliminate night sweats. I am considering not taking anything just to see what my body will do on it's own. The night sweats seem to be increasing even with taking Estroprin for about 4 or 5 months. If anyone has come upon a surefire cure, I'd like to hear about it.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Gram2one,
It's not clear from your note: did the bioidentical hormones eliminate the night sweats? If they didn't, it may be possible that the dose that you were using just wasn't strong enough to take care of them; most of the bioidentical creams are fairly low dose. You could get bioidentical hormones in a higher concentration if you were to use a transdermal hormone patch; the highest dose patches can achieve a higher estrogen level. It is also possible that the the sweats could be unrelated to menopause; other conditions such as hyperthyroidism can lead to night sweats; even some medications can give you sweats as a side effect. So if they do persist, the likeliest solution would probably be found by a medical endocrinologist.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

ritajoy33 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I had taken Premarin from the age of 58 until I had a masectomy in 2003. Was taken off hormones at that time. I started hormones in 1983 and had no hot flashes until the beast cancer. I am still having hot flashes and night sweats at the age of 79 and have tried everything to no avail.
Is there any hope for me?
An oncologist suggested Effexor which did no good and I could not stop them.
Now I was told that Citalopram may help (Celexa)?
What is your opinion?

Skroack replied to ritajoy33's response:
I am an ayurvedic practitoner and in ayurveda we treat night sweats simply and naturally by simply preforming a gentle oil massage nightly with sunflower oil. This does help to regulate hormones and calm and balance the nervous system. You should notice the effects in 4 to 8 weeks. Doing some gentle breathing while you let the oil sit before taking a shower for about 10 to 15 minutes is also very helpful. Be careful in the shower to not slip as the floor of the shower gets slick when you rinse off the oil!

The type of breathing we recommend is alternate nostril or nadi shodhana. You can look it up on you tube for detailed instruction. It s very simple and calming. Together this is the most powerful tools to combat hot flashes and night sweats naturally, aside form herbal medication. Good luck!

Skroack responded:
I am an ayurvedic practitoner and in ayurveda we treat night sweats simply and naturally by simply preforming a gentle oil massage nightly with sunflower oil. This does help to regulate hormones and calm and balance the nervous system. You should notice the effects in 4 to 8 weeks. Doing some gentle breathing while you let the oil sit before taking a shower for about 10 to 15 minutes is also very helpful. Be careful in the shower to not slip as the floor of the shower gets slick when you rinse off the oil!

The type of breathing we recommend is alternate nostril or nadi shodhana. You can look it up on you tube for detailed instruction. It s very simple and calming. Together this is the most powerful tools to combat hot flashes and night sweats naturally, aside form herbal medication. Good luck!

soozie0711 replied to ritajoy33's response:
You need a complete hormonal lab analysis: Thyroid T3, T4 and TSH and a M.D. adept in interpreting, because you could be within normal limits and still have an out of whack thyroid. Your estrogen and testosterone levels should be managed with supplementation, if necessary. I use a compounding pharmacy located in Lakewood, CO that is safe and mails around the country. You need a doctor's prescription, as this is 'natural' pharmaceutical grade thyroid and hormone replacement. As a fellow sufferer of menopausal symptoms for over 20 years, changing my diet to eliminate all sugars, just lean meats, vegetables, small amount of fruit and large quantity of coconut oil for cooking and nuts and seeds, I have been able to eliminate estradiol. My body is making the correct amount of estrogen now and I am symptom free one year after changing my diet (after 22 years). Still taking the M.D. prescribed dessicated thryoid, as that is an autoimmune situtation. Don't give up!

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website