Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Menopause and skin
An_248945 posted:
Does menopause affect the face skin like enlarged pores, wrinkles etc? If yes, what's the remedy to keep the skin young looking?

Anon_6061 responded:
I'm in surgical menopause which has been a nightmare! My skin (and hair) aged overnight. I didn't develop a lot of wrinkles but I lost a lot of skin collagen and subcutaneous fat and my facial skin became extremely dry (used to tend toward oily). Collagen, elastin, and subcutaneous fat are the hallmarks of youthful looking skin. The loss of these caused my face to thin out and sag so I now have the lines around my lips and the sagging mouth/chin area and jawline as well as hollows beneath my eyes.

The loss of collagen was evident very quickly not only in my face but in my feet too as all my shoes became loose shortly after surgery. I know menopause tends to accelerate the aging process but it didn't happen this fast in anyone I know who's gone through natural menopause. I don't think there's any easy fix for the severity of my skin deterioration. As far as dryness, I've tried a number of products to no avail until recently. CeraVe SA Renewing Lotion has worked wonders to hold in moisture. It wasn't on the shelf at local retailers so the pharmacy ordered it for me.

nyrashmi replied to Anon_6061's response:
Thanks for the info. I will also try CeraVe SA Renewing Lotion.

May be it would delay the aging process in me. I appreciate your reply

Anon_6061 replied to nyrashmi's response:
Would be interested to know if it helps you - let me know. The moisturizing effects were evident pretty quickly for me.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website