Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Period after 8 months FSH 60
phillygirl posted:
Hi my FSH tested at 60 two months ago and I havent had a period for oover 8 months. Until today. I thought I was done. I have been taking milk thistle for a couple months and am wondering if that could have caused the bleeding. It seems like a regular period, cramps headache etc. Thanks.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear phillygirl,
Unfortunately, although FSH tests are lovely to tell you that you are heading to menopause, they do not tell you when that last menstrual period will show up; you need to go a full year without a period to say, yes, you are probably done. Could the milkthistle have played a role? Possibly-but this could have come on totally by itself. And alas, you now have to count a year from now to say you are totally done, presuming nothing occurs in the interim,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

rejemaky replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I still spot almost monthly with a fsh of 60. Another gynocologist told me this should not happen!!!! It was a man. I still spot every few months. However, I am on coumadin. Could I still be having small periods?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to rejemaky's response:
Dear rejemaky,
It is possible to still have ovarian activity with an FSH of 60. Have you had any evaluation of the lining of your uterus? I'd just want to make sure you didn't have something like a polyp in there-because if there is something like a polyp, bleeding with coumadin would be a significant possibility. So I'd suggest, if you haven't had anything like an ultrasound of the lining of your uterus, or a biopsy of the lining of your uterus, that you check in with your gynecologist. But if those studies are all normal, then we can assume that you are still having some degree of ovarian activity,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website