Includes Expert Content
What medical conditions can cause hot flashes?
wrestle posted:
what medical conditions can cause hot flashes/Night sweats?

thank you

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Wrestle,
There are several; hyperthyroidism is the classic; also some abnormalities like adrenal gland tumors such as pheochromocytoma can do it-but they are very rare. Also, some medications have hot flashes and night sweats as side effects. Of course, the most common cause is menopause, but there are a host of other more unusual causes,
Mary Jane

An_249261 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I am a 41 year old mother of three. Active, healthy weight, and no medical conditions. I've suffered for 3 years from terrible night sweats. Dr. cannot find a cause; perhaps early menopause ~ the only relief I have found is keeping my bed very cold, (I sleep on a Chilipad and it has CHANGED MY LIFE!!) 50 degrees year round on my side of the bed and I have slept better than I have in years. I was convinced that it was just hormones and the actual temp. was not the problem. Not so... keeping my body and sleep environment cool is the key for me. I wish everyone suffering from night sweats knew about this option. Worth EVERY $.

wrestle replied to An_249261's response:
Could you please tell me where to get one? I wake up hot and sweating, then I get up and take everything off but my tank top, then I get the chills and put blankets on again, this goes on all night every night, I swear it's like clock work, about 9pm every night it starts. Thank you for your input