Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
What medical conditions can cause hot flashes?
wrestle posted:
what medical conditions can cause hot flashes/Night sweats?

thank you

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Wrestle,
There are several; hyperthyroidism is the classic; also some abnormalities like adrenal gland tumors such as pheochromocytoma can do it-but they are very rare. Also, some medications have hot flashes and night sweats as side effects. Of course, the most common cause is menopause, but there are a host of other more unusual causes,
Mary Jane

An_249261 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
I am a 41 year old mother of three. Active, healthy weight, and no medical conditions. I've suffered for 3 years from terrible night sweats. Dr. cannot find a cause; perhaps early menopause ~ the only relief I have found is keeping my bed very cold, (I sleep on a Chilipad and it has CHANGED MY LIFE!!) 50 degrees year round on my side of the bed and I have slept better than I have in years. I was convinced that it was just hormones and the actual temp. was not the problem. Not so... keeping my body and sleep environment cool is the key for me. I wish everyone suffering from night sweats knew about this option. Worth EVERY $.

wrestle replied to An_249261's response:
Could you please tell me where to get one? I wake up hot and sweating, then I get up and take everything off but my tank top, then I get the chills and put blankets on again, this goes on all night every night, I swear it's like clock work, about 9pm every night it starts. Thank you for your input

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website