Skip to content
6 month no period now spotting when wipe before i pee and after
tina6253 posted:
april 2012 went to health dept had exam no pap because thy give pap every 3 years now was on apri birth pill with esthinyl my reg doctor said stop taken them because of my age 49 in may 2012 no period he said maybe change now nov2012 spotting when i wipe before i pee and after 3 days now i am scared it is cancer no ins.

sjb05151956 responded:
It's very common for someone your age to have irregular cycles and periods. This can run the gamut - from missing periods months on end to having more frequent ones. Bleeding can range from less flow to very heavy. Anything goes during perimenopause. The birth control pills were forcing you to have a monthly bleed. Now your body is adjusting to its own hormones and probably transitioning toward menopause.

You aren't actually menopausal until you've gone a full year without a period. Gynecological cancers are actually pretty rare so no need to get all worked up. Some women have posted here that they started bleeding even AFTER their full year without a period but in most cases, testing showed that it ended up being nothing of concern - usually just a "burst" of hormones from the ovaries (or maybe even too much estrogenic foods).

If you're sexually active, you'll want to be sure you're using some form of birth control. Until you're in menopause, there is the chance of pregnancy.

tina6253 replied to sjb05151956's response:
thank you

tina6253 replied to sjb05151956's response:
thank you

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website