Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Menopause - flashes, sweats and chg. in personality
hobie38 posted:
I am 58 yrs., have had menopause for about 5 yrs. now. In place of testosterone what can I take that works? I gained 20 lbs. being on the testosterone and I would like to go back to my size 10's. What else works for migraines. I have become my mother! Help Please, Thanks

sjb05151956 responded:
Interesting - so you were taking testosterone for migraines? What form? I'm curious if you tried any other form of HRT for the migraines and if you have any other menopausal symptoms. Hope you find something that works.

hobie38 responded:
No the testosterone was for the hot flashes. It was call Camelot. I have no other menopause symptoms. I have tried HRT my concern with that is the fact I have had 2 DVT bloodclots.

sjb05151956 replied to hobie38's response:
Haven't heard of Camelot. Is it actual testosterone or does it somehow make testosterone and is it a prescription or over-the-counter? There aren't any testosterone Rx products here in the U.S. for women (don't know if you're in the U.S.). Are you in natural menopause?

hobie38 replied to sjb05151956's response:
It's a synthetic prescription. What's natural menopause?

Did you get this Rx in the U.S.? Natural menopause versus surgical (ovaries removed) or induced or premature (ovarian failure caused by a procedure, chemo, radiation, or unknown trigger).

hobie38 replied to sjb05151956's response:
The script was from my ob/gyn in the US. No I'm going through natural menopause. I got a transdermal patch that works fairly well during the day, I only get 3-4 flashes. But, it's like something goes off as soon as the sun goes down and it gets dark, I'll get a flash about every hour. I dress in layers, I always have a tank top on under a shirt under a sweater. It's absolutely frustrating. Sometimes at night I will just sit and cry every time I get one. I am so tired of it, can't sleep, throw covers off, get cold, pull covers on have a flash. There has to be something!!!!!

I'll have to check on the Camelot - maybe it's intended for a man like Androgel. But women should be able to use a man's testosterone product, just at a much lower dose.

Are you eating or drinking anything in the evening that has estrogenic effects such as soy, alcohol? I usually get mild hot flashes while drinking red wine especially (not so much with white). Also, one or two drinks can cause me to wake up feeling very hot. And memory foam mattresses exacerbate it.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website