Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Pregnancy or Peri Menopause?
An_249084 posted:
I'm 45 years old, and had a tubal ligation at 25. At 44 I had a Nova Sure procedure, ablation. I have been told I absolutely cannot get pregnant again. I have no appetite, I'm dizzy and have weight loss and lots of headaches, tired, moody, can't sleep, heightened sense of smell, some foods make me nauseous, and a major increase in libido. These are all things that happen when I'm pregnant. I don't get morning sickness. This has all happened since Oct. 22. It is now Nov 21.

sjb05151956 responded:
Have you done a pregnancy test? Although rare, you can get pregnant after a tubal ligation. And it can be an ectopic pregnancy which is very serious. Although pregnancy is possible after ablation, the pregnancy usually isn't viable since the uterine lining is thin and scarred. Quite a few women over on the WebMD Women's Health Community have reported problems after ablation in the discussion titled "Endometrial Ablation Side Effects." Here's the link to it - http://forums.webmd.com/3/gynecology-exchange/forum/12649

Keziah16 replied to sjb05151956's response:
Thank you for the link. I had the ablation a year and a half ago and only had a little pain the first month. In regards to that I feel fine, way better than before. I spoke to a friend who is older than me and she suggested I may be in Peri menopause, I don't have hot flashes though. And no I haven't done a pregnancy test yet.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to sjb05151956's response:
Dear sjb and An_249084,
I hate to say this, but unfortunately, an ablation does not protect one from becoming pregnant; however, after an ablation, one definitely should use contraception, if you have not had a tubal ligation. A pregnancy that occurs after an ablation can be life threatening. There is a high incidence of a condition called placenta accreta, which can lead to life threatening hemorrhage with the delivery (the placenta is truly stuck to the wall of the uterus, and cannot come out without hemorrhage). However, having had a tubal ligation, one is very unlikely to become pregnant. So if one is late for a period, I would recommend checking a pregnancy test, just to rule it out. but I am glad that you are feeling better.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Keziah16 replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thank you both for your replies,
I did get a pregnancy test and it was negative. also I will be going in to see an OBGYN next week to ask questions. I do believe some of my problems may have been from an allergic reaction to Stevia sweetener. I have stopped using it and hopefully the itching will go away.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website