Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
HRT
marrdh posted:
Just had appt with Gyno. for extremely heavy periods that have been going on for years. I am 50. I just decided I couldn't take it any more,as it is really negatively affecting my life. Much to my surprise, as I did not know it was an option, I have decided to try the Mirena IUD. I am wondering if anyone has had success with it for this use. I am also considering trying an HRT, which Iwas really against until a long discussion with my Dr. I am apparently in a very low risk for any side effects. My age, family history(negative for any health issue), non smoker, not over weight, exercise regularly etc..I am shocked to even think I would consider it. My Dr. made me feel like it was perhaps a good option for me and not this horrible, cancer causing treatment that I should never consider. It actually sounds like it may improve my life. Anyone have any experiences with these things??

Anon_6061 responded:
Did you by any chance try any of the other hormonal (low dose birth control pills or a progestin) or non-hormonal (OTC or Rx NSAIDs or tranexamic acid Lysteda) meds? This handy table shows the various options and their % effectiveness - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/table/ch8.t1/?report=objectonly

This table was taken from this lengthy article of pharmaceutical treatments for heavy bleeding -
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0015970/

The benefit of a med is that you can easily stop it if you have side effects whereas the Mirena requires an office procedure to remove (as well as insert). Also, cost may be something to consider. Let us know what you decide on and how it's working for you as it may help someone else here.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website