Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Menopause and periods
bedbugger posted:
I'm 51. Started taking the pill when I was 18 and was only off the pill during my 2 pregnancies. For the last couple of years my periods have been very light. My doctor told me I didn't need to be on the pill any more and took a blood test and told me I was menopausal, although I never experienced any menopausal sysptoms. She told me I didn't need to use any birth control. For the first 2 months of being off the pill I didn't get my period. Then I began to get very heavy periods every month. My periods now last 6 or 7 days. This has been going on for the past 6 months. How can I be in menopause? Do I need to use some kind of protection? Should I go back on the pill?

Anon_6061 responded:
Certainly sounds like you're not menopausal! Yes, you should be using some form of birth control (if the thought of having a little one at this point in your life makes you nauseous!).

It's my understanding that hormone tests aren't accurate while on birth control pills. Plus, even when not on BCP's, the FSH can fluctuate and be elevated during peri-menopause (a cry for your ovaries to produce more estrogen) so you have to go a full year without a "real" (BCP free) period for the FSH to be accurate.

Since you'd been on the pill all those years and just recently stopped it, it would seem safe to start back on it. But only your doctor can advise you on that based on your health history and risk factors.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Physical activity at midlifeExpert
Regular physical activity is a vital part of every midlife woman?s life, preserving physical and mental health and improving quality of ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 29 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website