Includes Expert Content
Menopause & cramping
cynmanc posted:
I'm 53 and my periods stopped when I was 48. I very rarely had cramps during my menstrual cycles so I'm not even sure this is the same. After reading other posts here I think I'm not alone with the pain I am experiencing. It starts in my lower back....(which is confusing because of already excising back pain and spasms)...and then after a couple of days is just on one side front and back. Extremely painful and difficult to bend over. Kinda like a knife in the side pain. It subsides when I sleep at night and then returns in the morning. I haven't had any bleeding so that is different than the other posts. This pain happened the first time about 4 months ago and the came back again 3 weeks ago for a few days and then again 2 days ago.

I don't have insurance so I don't have a regular doctor or OB/Gyn. I experience night sweats and hot flashes and was on a very low dose hormones but stopped them because they didn't help the constant flashes. Advil or any pain relievers are no help.
And yeah....I know I'm a mess
Any suggestions?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear cynmanc,
I would doubt that the pain you're experiencing is related to menopause. Of course, you could have something like a cyst on an ovary, which could give you pain-but from your description of the pain, I would look more towards the gastrointestinal system or musculo skeletal system. I hope you can get this investigated soon, and start feeling better,
Good luck,
Mary Jane