Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Menopause & cramping
cynmanc posted:
I'm 53 and my periods stopped when I was 48. I very rarely had cramps during my menstrual cycles so I'm not even sure this is the same. After reading other posts here I think I'm not alone with the pain I am experiencing. It starts in my lower back....(which is confusing because of already excising back pain and spasms)...and then after a couple of days is just on one side front and back. Extremely painful and difficult to bend over. Kinda like a knife in the side pain. It subsides when I sleep at night and then returns in the morning. I haven't had any bleeding so that is different than the other posts. This pain happened the first time about 4 months ago and the came back again 3 weeks ago for a few days and then again 2 days ago.

I don't have insurance so I don't have a regular doctor or OB/Gyn. I experience night sweats and hot flashes and was on a very low dose hormones but stopped them because they didn't help the constant flashes. Advil or any pain relievers are no help.
And yeah....I know I'm a mess
Any suggestions?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear cynmanc,
I would doubt that the pain you're experiencing is related to menopause. Of course, you could have something like a cyst on an ovary, which could give you pain-but from your description of the pain, I would look more towards the gastrointestinal system or musculo skeletal system. I hope you can get this investigated soon, and start feeling better,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website