Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
The Reason for the spotting post menopause
MsSueBowie posted:
I seen my GYNE yesterday. My Pap Smear was normal and the transvaginal ultra sound was ugly. The fibroids are causing the bleeding. There is one the size of an orange. The choices are hysterectomy or UFE. I prefer the UFE, but my mother and sister suggested having hysterectomy. The both of them had the procedure in the past. I am relieved it was not anything too serious.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear MsSueBowie,
Sorry to hear about the fibroids, but they certainly can cause bleeding. For the folks who are unfamiliar with the term, UFE refers to Uterine Fibroid Embolization, which is a non surgical radiologic procedure, in which the blood vessels that supply the fibroids are localized, and clotted off, so that the fibroid is starved of it's blood supply and it shrinks. It is a reasonable option-some gynecologists do recommend it, some do not. Unfortunately, many women do get significant cramping after the procedure, which is not surprising, given that your fibroids are losing their blood supply. But it can save you a surgical procedure. And it should be helpful in controlling the bleeding. So do discuss it with your gyn, to help guide you.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

a major tip for sufferers!
I am unable to take HRT (had my share of that stuff in infertility) so now the hot flashes & restlessness start.. here's my 'tip' for ... More
Was this Helpful?
14 of 23 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website