Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
6 months & no period now what
tweetyteee42 posted:
o.k. I am 43 yrs old have not had a period in 6 months ,woke up this morning and here I was bleeding again a regular period,I have all the symptoms of being in menapause..and my mother completly stopped hers when she was my age so I just figured I would not have no more ..is this normal?do you tink I will keep bleeding or what? I mean I had no symptoms that I was going to start my period like back ache or bloating etc...so now what?

Anon_6061 responded:
Going that long without a period and then it coming out of nowhere isn't uncommon in the perimenopause timeframe leading up to menopause. Anything can happen during this timeframe from fewer periods to more frequent periods, heavier bleeding, lighter bleeding, you name it. No one can predict the course your periods will take until they stop altogether. Bloodwork to assess menopausal status isn't accurate until you've gone a full year without a period.

nrsldy replied to Anon_6061's response:
Im 42 and I am going through perimenopause and my periods are lasting over two weeks and are heavy and light. I do not like anything about this phase in my life except for hope that it will end soon!

Mary Jane Minkin, MD replied to nrsldy's response:
Dear nrsldy,
Alas, it is impossible to predict how long the perimenopause will last; no blood test is available to accurately do that. If you have been reading this site for a while, you may have read about the possibility of trying a low dose birth control pill if you are a good candidate (basically healthy and a non smoker)-low dose pills will not prolong the perimenopausal time frame-the ovaries will continue to lose function-but the pills will mask the symptoms, including the strange period patterns. So if these issues are annoying do speak with your health care provider-there are things that can be done,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Estring worked for me
I've had this problem periodically since menopause - I am now 67. Cure for me was Estring, which actually causes a pleasant sort of sweet ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website