Skip to content
New to this
hecate posted:
This reaching out thing is new for me, but here goes. I need advice on how to help myself. I am 42. I think I am losing my mind. I'm snapping at my husband (he's SO sweet!), irritated at my dog (also sweet), I never know when my period is going to show up or how it will be when it does, I feel an almost constant rage, things that used to just bother me make me feel homicidal, and PMS is developing into a nightmare. My doctor wants me to take the Pill, but I'm afraid because of my chronic clinical depression that I've had since I was younger might get worse, and I really can't take that right now. I'm on an SSRI, and I think that may be the only reason I haven't brought physical harm to anyone, including myself. I know that fast relief may not be possible, but I need any way I can find to take some of the edge off. I'm trying black cohosh with limited and varied results. I'm not working and I have no insurance--and living with my inlaws is unbelievable, no-stress, stupid fun. What can I do for myself right now, with my limitations, to make myself feel at least a little bit better? Any advice or kind words would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Tinie1P responded:
I feel as if i just read my own post. I am 41 and am going through the same thing. There are over the counter menopausal meds as well as stress meds. They are pretty affordable. You just have to find the best one that will work for you. Hope this helps and good luck. Also, you are not loosing your mind.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
21 of 32 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website