Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Post Menopause with mild PMS Symptoms
Kalliope posted:
I am 54 years old, and started menopause 20 months ago. For the first time I am experiencing mild PMS symptoms. The order in which they appeared are exactly as they were when I was having regular periods, mild cramping on one side, clear discharge and breast swelling. I have been diagnosed with uterine fibroids over 3 years ago, but did not have them removed. Up until now I have had no problems. Any idea what this might be? Thank you.

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Kalliope,
I"m not sure from your question whether you have stopped having periods-I surmise that you have. It does sound like you have resumed some sort of ovarian activity from what you are describing. The fibroids really shouldn't have too much to do with it-You might want to touch base with your gynecologist to see if (s)he has any further suggestions-some folks do have some resumption of ovarian activity, particularly if it has been less than a year since your last menstrual period.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

mood swings/menopause
I have so much empathy for all women that go through this,either mild or severe.I was put on a hormone,very low dose because I have 4 ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 3 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website