HRT and the hysterectomy woman
momo2525 posted:
I am a 62 year old woman who had a hysterectomy at age 43. I have been on HRT (Premarin) since that time and I am in the process of going off the medication. I have managed to decrease the medication to a half dose a few months ago and I am now going off it completely. The problem is that I have never had menopause and I don't know what to expect concerning side effects with this final step. Can anyone tell me what I should watch for. I am in my fourth day of "no pill". Thanks

Anon_6061 responded:
If I had my parts, my ovaries would produce hormones into my 80's (at least that's what studies have shown). So I plan to take estrogen (and maybe testosterone too) for the rest of my life.

The removal of my organs was a severe trauma to my body. I used to be so full of life and always happy. I fell into a severe depression and couldn't sleep for more than a couple hours at a time because my body couldn't regulate its temperature. I lost my appetite, skin became very dry and OLD looking, hair fell out, vision blurred, etc etc. This was with an estrogen patch which must not have given me enough estrogen. My body was crying out for more. I don't ever want to go back to those dark days!!

Let us know how the tapering off goes for you.