Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Menopause and migranes
ttrees posted:
I had a hystorectomy in Dec 2012. Since then I have suffered from severe headaches every month. I didnt think they would be hormone related until recently. I kept thinking it was sinus related but nothing would work to relieve the syptoms. I have no other issues with the menopause (no hotflashes,etc)just the headaches.What should I do?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear trees,
It is always difficult to say if one's headaches are hormonally caused, or caused by other issues. You definitely want to speak to your health care provider, to try to figure this out. If your headaches are related to a lack of estrogen, which does happen periodically to women in perimenopause, a low dose of estrogen, in a pill, patch or gel form can be very helpful. If the headaches are not related to a lack of estrogen, it won't help at all. So do speak with your health care provider, to come up with a plan.
Hope you feel better soon,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
26 of 40 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website