Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Menopause and migranes
ttrees posted:
I had a hystorectomy in Dec 2012. Since then I have suffered from severe headaches every month. I didnt think they would be hormone related until recently. I kept thinking it was sinus related but nothing would work to relieve the syptoms. I have no other issues with the menopause (no hotflashes,etc)just the headaches.What should I do?

Anon_6061 responded:
I assume your ovaries were removed since you said "I have no other issues with the menopause." The changes in hormones can definitely cause headaches / migraines. If you go to hystersisters, you'll see quite a few women complaining of headaches after hysterectomy. You're still early post-op. Maybe these will abate as your hormones deplete.

Keep in mind though that estrogen deficiency after ovary removal is associated with a number of increased health risks as well as quality of life issues (for most women). If you choose to take estrogen, it seems to be easier on hormonally triggered headaches to ease into the dose. And some HRT's may work better than others for the headaches. So a bit of trial and error may be needed.

I didn't have a big issue with headaches after hysterectomy (just mild ones) and didn't have menopause symptoms either before starting estrogen around 6 weeks post-op. But post-hysterectomy problems hit later and hit me hard. Insomnia, severe depression, anxiety, memory loss, loss of focus, and feeling overwhelmed by everything were the worst ones. I needed a higher dose of estrogen to function.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Menopause - Younger Ages
For those of you out there that are going/gone through menopause at an early age, Yes it happens. It's unusual but it happened to me. I ... More
Was this Helpful?
20 of 31 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website