Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Can menopause "come back"?
Cherylewithane posted:
Hi...I had a complete hysterectomy at age 52 and am now 61. I was never on HRT, and did well. Recently I have been experiencing hot flashes and lots of tears, and just feel yucky (not horribly ill at all.) These symptoms 'seem' like what I went through during menopause. Could they be...again? Two other facts, don't know if they are relevant but who knows? I got married 7 months ago after 22 years of being single (and no sexual activity). Could hormones get stirred up from that? Also, I am almost 200 pounds less now than I was during menopause. The weight loss occurred 8 years ago, but am really in quite a 'different' body now.

Thanks so much for your help!

Cheryle

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear Cherylewithane,
First of all, congratulations on your marriage. And also congratulations on your weight loss several years ago: good for you!
Now, the questions you ask are tricky. It is unusual for a lot of menopausal symptoms to crop up this late after a hysterectomy at which both ovaries were removed: one remote possibility is could you have had some ovarian tissue left inside, which has finally stopped working, leading to these potentially menopausal symptoms. There are also other causes of hot flashes, like thyroid disorders, or new medications. So I'd get your thyroid tested, if you haven't yet. All that being said, it is reasonable to try some interventions for your symptoms. Trying something like black cohosh (like Remifemin) or soy (like Icool) is totally reasonable, and if it helps, great. It is even a reasonable option to try a small amount of transdermal estrogen, if you'd like to-after discussing with your health care provider. So importantly, I'd think about other causes of symptoms, to get you better.
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Cherylewithane replied to Mary Jane Minkin, MD's response:
Thanks so much! I am seeing my Pcp in the morning. 2 things I forgot to include...I also have 'cold' flashes but not as often, and I do have a benign thyroid mass that is being followed for yearly ultra sounds.

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 38 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website