Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Should I be concerned?
An_250342 posted:
I'm 52 years old. I had my last regular period in Sept. of 2011. In July of 2012 (approximately) I had a tiny amount of brown spotting that lasted a couple of days at the most. I didn't think anything of it at the time because I was using bio identical hormones at the time and thought this may be a side effect of those. Then maybe three months ago or so, same thing, a tiny amount of brown spotting that only lasted a couple of days. Now just last night I started spotting again. This time it's a bit more, enough to require a panty liner and was a little red at first, but now has turned brown. I'm a little worried this could be something serious. Could it be that I'm not completely in menopause yet as about a week to a week and a half before each of these spotting incidents I almost felt like I may have been ovulating...I had the extra wet mucous ect. that I always felt when I was menstruating on a regular basis. Do I need to be concerned?

Mary Jane Minkin, MD responded:
Dear An_250342,
This is a difficult question to answer; you may indeed still be having some of your own ovarian activity accounting for the bleeding, and other symptoms. And you are young (yes, 52 is young!) To be on the safe side, many gynecologists would probably suggest that you have a transvaginal ultrasound to look at the lining of the uterus; another option would be an endometrial biopsy, which sounds scary but isn't-it's done in the office, attended by some cramping-but it's over pretty quickly. Both of those would be intended to rule out abnormalities in the uterus accounting for any erratic bleeding.
It is most likely not worrisome, but might be a good thing to rule out any abnormalities,
Good luck,
Mary Jane

Featuring Experts

Mary Jane Minkin, MD, is a nationally recognized obstetrician gynecologist, with a special interest in menopause. Dr. Minkin is clinical professor of ...More

Helpful Tips

Fact or fiction? Estrogen therapy is an option for all menopausal womenExpert
Fiction: Only women who no longer have a uterus should consider using esdtrogen-alone therapy (ET). For women with a uterus, the option ... More
Was this Helpful?
25 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit the North American Menopause Society website